Saturday 21 September 2019

Really?

Do these people actually exist?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/115945519/rugby-world-cup-be-prepared-for-the-worst-if-the-unthinkable-happens-again

Sir Robert Jones probably says it better:

https://nopunchespulled.com/2019/09/20/rugbys-decline/

I'm an old fart.

At school I was taught rugby, whether I liked it or not.

I liked it, it didn't like me.

I played other games as well - almost as badly.

I still loved the game and followed it (while playing other games) most of my life.

For years I could name every All Black and every local player who should have been an All Black - and told you why.

That changed when the NZRU bought a player, who had no real idea of the game, with the promise of a guaranteed selection in the top team, i.e. the All Blacks.

I realised NZ rugby had become a business.

As an aside I observed this player leaving an Hotel offering electronic amusement when he was, according to publicity-type promotion, supposedly with the local team he was contracted to, learning the game he was being paid to play.

I divert.

My question stands: Do these people actually exist?

Do people who feel pain when the local team is not first in a tournament ( but may be the best team in the world) actually exist in the modern world?

Is Mel Brooks question in Blazing Saddles particularly prescient here?

"or are they just jerking off?"

No comments:

Post a Comment